Thursday, October 2, 2014

Our Fall Decor


After pulling out two bins of Fall decor last weekend, I wasn't really feeling it.  So, I let it sit a few days until the mood felt right.  When I came back to it this week, the process unfolded naturally and didn't feel "forced".  This is the way I like to decorate. :) I added the usual Fall decor suspects- pumpkins, pine cones, apples, flowering branches (real and faux), and a new "cayenne and ivory" throw blanket that I'm crazy about.  I spread the Fall love throughout the house and had the best compliment from my girlfriend who came to visit from out of town.  She said our home felt "relaxing, full and warm, like a hug."  Ahh, such a sweet thing to say! I'm so thankful that she felt like that when she spent time here.  I hope you feel the same way.    









I found this cute cutting board shaped chalkboard at World Market.  I need to work on my chalk writing, but the sentiment is right on.  The glass vase and orange velvet branches are also from World Market, but the gold vase and wooden vessel are from Target.  The red branches are real - from the grocery store. 














I'm crazy for these faux fern branches with varying colors.  I'm using an old gold vase from Homegoods and ceramic pumpkins from Hobby Lobby.  Real pumpkins would be cute, but I've yet to paint my orange ones this year.  Maybe this weekend?  My son would love doing that!










Here's the throw blanket I mentioned- got it on sale, so I like it even better.  I had it in my hand and a lady asked, "Where'd you find that?"  I pointed and she grabbed the last one in our store. It adds a nice mix to the plaid and zebra pillows.  Changing out our aqua/yellow pillow covers for more Autumn colors transitions our living room from Summer to Fall in a matter of minutes.










And I really like how the orange branches look in the dining room agains the blueish walls (Comfort Grey lightened 75%).










We recently found the perfect table for that small curved area under the stairs (after 4 years!).  I had ordered and returned a less expensive table that I didn't love for this one that I know I'll be happy with for years to come.  It's color and shape goes well with this spot in our house and I like that the top is seamless.  Layered rugs (round jute, cowhide) help make the area feel cozier.  










Upstairs, I took advantage of our tall ceilings with these cool dried branches I found at the grocery store.  I'll have to be careful how I store them because they are quite brittle.  It's a nice pop of Fall color and I struggle with filling this urn because it has such a wide mouth.  (Finally hung our family photos that had been sitting on the floor forever!)

















The best part of decorating for Fall this year was that I got my son in on the action.  "Wanna help me decorate for Fall?"  "Yes!"  He's the cutest helper ever, carefully putting those acorns into the lantern one by one, making sure they didn't fall out! And he collects little acorns on the playground at school everyday, putting them in his pocket and adding to his collection at home.  He's up to "catorce" (14 in Spanish:).  Love this boy! 










Have you gotten into the Fall decorating mode yet?





















No comments:

Post a Comment