Sunday, July 20, 2014

Choosing Paint for the Dining Room - Sherwin Williams Sea Salt ??







How many samples of paint does it take to find the right color for a dining room?  Apparently, at least eight.  I've been to the paint store three times in the past three days to continue testing paint samples, and I'm not even sure I have a winner yet!  I'm determined to decide today though because Sherwin Williams is having their 40% off sale and I want to take advantage of it! (It ends Monday).












I fell in love with Sherwin Williams Sea Salt after seeing it on Life on Virginia Street, in Sarah's master bedroom.  In her room, SEA SALT looked like a very soothing grayish-green.  I thought that would go well with my dining room drapes and the rest of the house.  I'm looking for something soft  that will brighten my room from the duller ACCESSIBLE BEIGE and look good when I change out the accessories in the room throughout the year.  I like the Accessible Beige pretty well in the rest of our first floor, and I hesitated to change the dining room because I want a cohesive look, but I figured I can find a paint that goes well with the rest of the downstairs since this room is pretty much off on it's own.  I'm not necessarily looking to match the drapes; rather, I'd prefer a complimentary color.



SEA SALT is pretty, but it looks way more blue than green and a little dull in my room.  Still a contender though.  Will be so funny (not really) if I end up with this one after painting all the other colors on my walls. It's the first one I put up.



WATERY was too bright.  Looked so gorgeous on the swatch.



DEWY is nice, close to the color of the lamps I have in the now, but it's pretty white against the creamy wainscoting.



FLEETING GREEN is just a tad darker than DEWY.



RAINWASHED is too blue and bright.






But, it's difficult to judge paint colors by a photograph online, or heck, even on a swatch.  I swear the Sea Salt that's on the swatch looks much more green than it does on the wall, where it reads blue.  









Also, I was painting the colors on top of our existing wall color, not primed walls. 









Our trim is a creamy white (DIVINE WHITE), so some of the blueish colors would probably look better against a crisp, white trim.





Colors look different at different times of the day.  The three pictures below were taken in the afternoon. 





















Then, I went back for three more.  These pictures were taken in the evening.



COMFORT GREY - hard to tell in the picture, but this is a pretty pale olive/greenish color.  It's a contender.  I looks good as you peek though to the breakfast room and see the drapes there.



SLOW GREEN - pretty white.



WATERSCAPE - too bright/aqua.







Now my walls are all crazy with these paint swatches everywhere!  I'm going to look again in the morning light- the last three swatches I photographed while still wet.  I don't want to do a bold, bright color in here because that wouldn't flow with the rest of the house, so I'm trying to find the best color that will brighten up the room, but still be soothing.  What do you think??





____________________



On Honey We're Healthy:  Mustard Lemon Chicken with Thyme

No comments:

Post a Comment