Monday, January 13, 2014

Popular Pins // Financial Edition


Getting our home organized and our finances in order go hand-in-hand, especially at the new year.  I like to go on a "Spending Freeze" in January to catch my breath and keep money in the bank as opposed to flying out the door.  



If you follow me on Instagram, you saw I purchased 2 new rugs lately, but I used credit I had built up, so I'm counting that okay.  To help prevent me from buying anything else, I'm just "pinning" the things I want and will reevaluate next month or so regarding whether I will actually purchase them or not.  I'm also working on prioritizing the things I want/need so that I make better spending decisions.  I signed up for Amazon Prime on your advice and have been using the "subscribe and save" program for items like paper towels, cleaning supplies, goldfish, etc.  So far, so good!



I've collected popular pins that can help us get "financially fit" this year and shared a few of my favorite financial books. 





56 Things to Do Instead of Spending Money via And Then We Saved.  Anna paid off $24,000 in debt in 15 months and dedicates her blog to helping other people live debt free.










5 Ways to Get Your Budget Back on Track via Living Well Spending Less.  I love Ruth's blog too, she has a lot of good cleaning and organizing tips. 











Dave Ramsey is the King of debt-free living.  I followed his plan to pay off my credit card debt in college and haven't amassed any more since.  I even saw his conference when he came to town. I love listening to his radio show (check your local listings). I would get all teary-eyed hearing families scream, "We're debt free!!"










The Nester reveals how she and her husband paid off $150k in just 5 years.









52 Week Money Saving Challenge via A Helicopter Mom.  This chart is pretty cool, it shows you how to save nearly $1,400 a year  pretty painlessly by adding a dollar a week. 










Like I mentioned above, Dave Ramsey has been instrumental in helping me learn how to manage my money and instilling the importance of living debt-free.  I never read his books, feeling that I got so much out of his show instead, but I know people swear by "The Total Money Makeover."












I'm also a huge fan of Suze Orman (although their philosophies differ somewhat).  Her big mantra is, "People first, then money, then things."  I read "The Courage to Be Rich" in my 20's and still recommend it, although she's written several good books since then. 












David Bach wrote one of my favorite financial books, "Smart Women Finish Rich" and he also authored, "Smart Couples Finish Rich."












I hope these resources help!  Do you have any to share?
















No comments:

Post a Comment